Thanks for all the nice comments on my last post, especially the commiseration from those of you who’ve gone through the whole dreaded daycare thing. It always helps to hear from folks who’ve gone through these things – so thanks, y’all.
Now, on to my latest sewing project:
Pattern: Mini dress, from Amy Butler’s Mini dress, tunic, and tops pattern.
Fabric: 2 1/2 yards Amy Butler “Lotus” fabric for the size medium (36″ bust).
I was pleasantly surprised by how nicely this turned out. I wasn’t sure if the design would be too tent-like, but it’s great: comfy but not bulky. I think one of the factors for achieving a nicer fit for me was that I didn’t baste the big pleat at center front; I sewed it instead the full 6″ length. This creates a more fitted silhouette above the waist, which works well. I also had to make some adjustments to the neckline, since as usual it was too big on me. I made two darts in the back, and two darts in the front – the latter right on the edges of the square neckline:
Not sure if you can see that; the print hides the darts pretty well. I lurve this fabric; I’ve been sitting on it for a while, waiting for the right pattern. Well, this is it! I’m almost positive I’ll make another of these, especially now that I know how to adjust the top to fit. I also like that the pattern includes girls’ sizes; I think there will be one of these in my niece’s future. (And in The Bee’s distant future…) Incidentally, I’m not sure why this is called a “mini” dress – it reaches nearly to my knees. Just wanted to point that out for anyone who might be nervous about making it because of the length factor.